Saturday, November 10, 2007

#19 Discovering Web 2.0 tools

Ok, I suspect someone has already gone over the other tools and picked out the best for here.

Some of the ones I have been playing with: Medstory looks interesting but I do like Medline better, I think I can narrow down my searches a bit better. For me personally, when I'm looking for medical information, I want narrow results instead of broad.

The City Guides and Events etc are only of interest to Americans.

The Cocktail builder was a lot of fun. I think I need to go buy more alcohol now. This is a good thing, really!!! I can definitely see a use for this in my library and all the staff agree! It will have to be locked cupboard that only the staff have keys to and I suspect there'll be arguments over the best way to arrange things and if it should be visible on the catalogue. I'm all for shadowing those records.

And my great niece and nephew love fuzzmail, but I don't really have the creative bent to make the best of it.

Maps I always love. I usually use Whereis, but Google Maps is lovely too, and the satellite and hybrid variations a fun. I was trying to figure out where I took a photo some time ago and the maps weren't working so I used the satellite images to 'drive' there and even found the building I'd photographed. Switching to map then gave me the suburb name. I like the idea of creating specialty maps with Wayfaring and it reminds of an mailing list discussion I was a part of some years ago where someone had said they were coming to Sydney and wanted to know where the best coffee was! A map everyone could contribute to would have been handy.

I'll continue exploring. I know there's more I'll like. Oh did you say start with one? Couldn't do that.

No comments: