Sunday, October 21, 2007

#12 Roll your own search engine

Rollyo is odd. I've made a couple now, the first one on audio book downloads and the second on the Oz First Fleet. I think there is a scarcity of instructions. Maybe I just missed something. I think it's odd that you can make search engines without signing in, but then those search engines can't be made public. There isn't anything obvious on the front page that explains that. So then I signed up but discovered I couldn't take ownership of the search engine I'd created and couldn't make it public unless I renamed it. Awkward. So, I decided to trash the original and redo it now that I was signed on. Now it's public. I don't think the interface and instructions are too useful, but then it was only a minor annoyance because I ended up finding my way round anyway.

25 sites is a little limiting, but it also makes you use a bit of discretion.

Someone else had done an engine for the First Fleet but when I got almost no hits on the name of an ancestor I put together one of my own. The odd thing that happened there was the First Fleet page for Wikipedia defaulted back to the main page and so I got lots of strange hits I wasn't expecting.

I would like to see a statement on Rollyo about how far into a website it searches. I doesn't seem to follow links, understandable, but it doesn't say what sort of websites should be used. And then it's difficult to work out how to get directly to a website if you want to use their own search facilities.

Nevertheless: http://rollyo.com/profile.html?uid=58107

No comments: