Sunday, October 28, 2007

#18 Web-based Apps: They're not just for desktops

(I'm not doing #17 because I use wikis so much it would be a bit like trying too hard...)

It's taken me the best part of 2 days to work out Zoho. I've played with Writer and Sheet. Luckily I had a little project ongoing and it seemed a good time to go further with it and try out these tools.

What I don't like is the absence of menus. Some might find that good but it seems they have cut out some of the options normally available. Like undo. Did I miss something?? I can't find it. The browsers undo is greyed out, not surprisingly, but it seems you can delete mistakes but not undo.

What I do like is the forums. Often the help functions on office products don't cover some obscure thing you're trying to work out, and if that thing is something you just can't do there won't be any mention at all. It becomes a 2 or 3 step process: look in help > then go to a forum (or newsgroup, or mailing list archive or whatever), > and if there's no answer post a question for a solution. That works for me, I have always got an answer using one of these three methods, but this time when I couldn't find a solution I went to the forums, searched to find that someone else had posted the same problem in the past and an answer had been provided. If it hadn't I would have posted the question myself. (No I'm not fessing up to the problem coz it was silly - I should have known)

And yeah, I can see how handy this would be for people working distances away from each other needing to work together on documents, or for someone who was traveling without computer equipment.

And now, just to experiment, just to see if it works:


ltjobstats - http://sheet.zoho.com

OOOhhh, it worked!

These are NSW LT and library assistant job ad stats over a few weeks. noLT is shorthand for those who don't have their qualifications yet. P/FT is permanent full time, P/PT is permanent part time, T/FT is temporary full time, T/PT is temporary part time, CAS is casual, CONT is contract. I have every intention of doing this for 1 year, just to get a general idea of what is happening.

I would definitely recommend these products for someone who didn't have enough money to buy expensive office products. I'll continue experimenting with these to get a better idea of just how much functionality they have.

No comments: