Saturday, October 13, 2007

Start!

I'm going through the system at http://plcmclearning.blogspot.com/. I do know some already, but I want to consolidate what I do know and fill in some gaps.

I love learning, always have. I do courses and read and do tutorials online. I read instructions and manuals and work things out. Sometimes I get other people to explain or show something. I can't work out which of the 7 1/2 habits would be easiest or hardest. I will add a couple of points from my own experience: I do quite a lot of learning. Some of the things I start I don't finish. I don't have a problem with that because quite a lot of what I start I do finish. I work out reasons why I don't finish some things and they include: the timing wasn't right and other priorities took precedent, sometimes I have chosen the wrong learning environment or method, and occasionally I find I don't really want to learn that thing anyway. Some of the things I have dropped I have picked up again and completed (for example, when other life events become less urgent) and some I've changed my way (such as realising I'll never learn Italian from beginning to end in one go and it's better for me to do bits and pieces over a longer period of time). Some things I lose interest in or can't find a better way (the only class available was with a terrible teacher .... maybe I'll try learning by myself later).

This condenses to: I don't whip myself for failure. I succeed at enough that failure isn't a major problem for me.

My other point is I'm not sure where in the 7 1/2 habits comes: having so much enthusiasm for a project that you over estimate what can be done. Figuring the point where you have to back off and slow down is hard because it is disappointing. Even knowing it can still continue, or be picked up again later doesn't make it less disappointing to put down something you really want to continue with.............

No comments: